Tips for Organizing Your RV’s Tiny Closet
Living in an RV is all about finding a new you but it is hard to let go all the pretty dresses you have. Most RV homes are the size of a master bedroom & bathroom, so there isn’t much you can take with you. At the same time, you have to be smart and take only the most functional and practical clothes, which means your pretty dresses get packed in a box and shipped off to your parents’ house.
We have some cool storage ideas for RV closets that will help you in organizing the closet and accommodate a few of your fancy dresses and shoes. And you don’t have to live your camper full time to utilize the simple storage solutions mentioned below either.
Tips to remember while cleaning out your closet
You have to undergo a major closet declutter when you are packing things for your RV life. Take this opportunity to get rid of things that you don’t need anymore. Here are three tips that will help you out while cleaning out the closet:
1. Donate things that don’t fit anymore
If it doesn’t fit you, you can give it to someone who can use it. Most of our clothes remain unused because you shove them at the back of your closet. Before you know, you don’t fit in them anymore. Try all your clothes and throw the ones that don’t fit into the donation pile. If there are in good or unused conditions, you can sell them on Etsy, PoshMark, or ThredUp.
2. Give it to your siblings
Your siblings are always going to keep an eye out for stealing clothes that you don’t use anymore. If you don’t want to donate the expensive dresses, shoes, handbags, and scarves, give them to your siblings. Make sure you make them promise to take good care of your belongings.
3. Keep four pair of shoes
You are going to need a pair of training shoes, slippers, fancy shoes in case you have to attend a party, and a pair of hiking shoes. Give away the remaining stuff or store them away in airtight boxes so that they don’t get moldy.
Clothes you need to pack for your RV adventure
This list contains items that will last you for up to three to six months but it totally depends upon you. If you want to live a minimalist lifestyle, you will only need half of the items mentioned.
Add 14 pairs of underwear with you along if five bras, if you are a female, to the list. Pack one black, two nude or white bras, one sports bra, and one nude strapless bra for special occasions.
2. Comfy wear
You need to have a total of seven pajama pants and 10 t-shirts or shirts. You can go for full-length or half pajama pants according to your comfort.
3. Outdoor clothing
For men – four t-shirts, four button-down shirts, two pairs of comfortable slacks, one pair of black and one pair of cream chinos, three pair of shorts, and two belts – one black and one brown.
For women – six long sleeve and four short sleeve t-shirts, seven fancy blouses, five dresses, two pairs of comfy slacks, four pair of jeans, two pairs of fancy trousers, and two belts – one black and one brown.
Both men and women should carry at least two heavy sweaters or cozy jackets to protect them from the cold. You can keep one light jacket for the autumn season. Also, pack a rain jacket or wind-cheater for the monsoon season.
5. Clothes for special occasions
When you are traveling, you are expected to go hiking or swimming, for which you will special gear. Pack one wicking short sleeve and long sleeve shirts each, one wicking jacket, and a pair of quick-drying pants. You will need one pair of hiking shoes.
Carry two pairs of swimming trunks or swimsuit and one cover-up for one of the hidden lakes you discover on your way.
Pack seven pairs of short socks and three pairs of woolen socks for the cold season. Take only the most important accessories with you like your engagement or wedding rings, a piece of special jewelry gifted by your family or friends, or anything else that is close to your heart. Pack a couple scarves to wrap around your neck whenever you go out.
Ways to make your RV closet look big
A cluttered closet is boring to look at. Use our three easy tips to make your tiny RV closet look big.
1. Add lights
Add at least three white LED lights to your closet. One goes on the ceiling, while the other two take one wall each. Don’t add an LED light to the wall behind the clothes because it won’t be visible. The bright light will help you look clearer and also make the closet look bigger.
2. Use the awkward spaces
If you have a very tall RV closet, add a shelf at the very top to store out-of-season clothes. Take them down only when you need them. Adding a shelf at the top makes the closet look taller.
3. Use a double hanger
Avoid adding shelves to the middle section of the closet and instead add double hangers. They are cheaper than shelves and store more things. You can hang your t-shirts, shirts, and dresses on each double hanger.
Simple Houseware 5 Shelves Hanging Closet Organizer
- Dimension: 12'' W x 10'' D X 45'' H
- Hangs on standard closet rod, wired closet rack
- 5 Fabric Bronze Shelves, dimension of each bin is 12'' W x 10''D x 9''H
- 6 Side Mesh Pockets, each side of this organizer has 3 mesh pockets
- 2 Hooks hanging system works in closet rod or wired closet rack
A simple yet brilliant organizer, this Hanging Closet Organizer is available in two colors — bronze and gray. It has five shelves and is 12” in width, 45” in height, and 10” in depth. You can place two of these into your RV closet and use it to store anything from your undergarments or t-shirts. It has three mesh pockets on either sides, where you can store your socks, napkins, and scarves. Install a heavy-duty rod in the closet to hang the organizer using its two-hook system.
- Five shelves and six pockets enough to store all your clothes
- No installation required
- Affordable and available in two colors
- Fabric shelves slop when you store anything heavy
- Shelves warp after three-four months
AmazonBasics Cube Wire Storage Shelves
- 4-pack of interlocking wire storage cubes for neat storage and tidy display
- Includes 20 plastic corner connectors and 16 grid panels made of powder-coated steel wire; no tools required for set-up
- Modular design allows for multiple stacking options; 10-pound weight capacity per cube; 40-pound weight capacity total
- Set weighs 10.1 pounds; solid white color for easy coordinating with surrounding décor
- Backed by an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
This aesthetic and durable cube wire storage shelves by AmazonBasics is quite a catch. You can purchase it in two colors — black and white and it is available in two variations — four-cube and six-cube. The cube shelves are stackable and the perfect solution for a temporary solution. The entire set weighs 10.1 lbs.
You will have to assemble the shelves on your own but don’t worry because the installation process is easy and not too technical. It has a total weight capacity of 40 lbs, which means you can use it to store anything from your winter jackets and shoes to towels and accessories. AmazonBasics offers a one-year warranty on this product.
- Stackable, affordable, and durable
- One-year limited warranty
- Holds maximum capacity of 40 lbs
- Requires installation
- Connectors come off when you move the shelves
RONRI Organizer and Storage Closet Set
- 38 PIECES: Hanging storage organizer with 9 shelves, 2 small size and 2 big size storage cubes, 20 thicker hangers, 12 clothes dividers,.There is...
- THICKER HANGERS : RONRI hangers are not ordinary hangers. We strive for excellent quality, so our hangers are all thicker flocked velvet...
- Storage Cubes: 2 big storage cubes and storage cubes adopt the cotton and linen which can be washed. It is convenient for you to clean it and the...
- Clothes Size Dividers: The clothes size dividers suitable for keeping straight between short sleeve, long sleeve, undershirts, T-shirts, pants,...
- Hanging Storage Organizer: RONRI hanging storage organizer with 9 shelves which keep closets and nursery room clutter under control by storing...
Like the name suggests, this Organizer and Storage Closet Set is designed for nursery closets but you can use it in your RV closet. It is a 38-piece closet set that comes with a nine-shelf hanging organizer, two big and two small storage cubes, 20 thick dual hangers, and 12 clothes dividers. The thick hangers are covered in velvet, which makes them stronger to hold heavy clothing items like winter jackets and trousers.
All four storage cubes are washable as they are made with a blend of cotton and linen. The cloth size dividers help to maintain the organizer’s shape as they are sturdy and thick. You will need to install a rod in the closet to hold the hanging organizer.
- Entire closet organizer set at super affordable rates
- Made using sturdy and strong material
- Minimal installation required
- Collapsible organizer that you store folded when not in use
- One shelf can only store three to four clothes at a time
KOUSI Portable Storage Shelf Cube
- 【SPACIOUS STORAGE ORGANIZER】Dimensions: 43"(W) x 14"(D) x 58.3"(H). 12 storage cubes offer you extra space for all kinds of outfits and...
- 【STRONG & STURDY CABINET】Each cube supports up to 44 lbs. Our cube storage cabinets are made of high quality resin composite materials with...
- 【ELEGANT & SMART DESIGN】Our products are designd with classic models and textures so that they can gracefully fit in any rooms with any...
- 【SMART & QUICK ASSEMBLY】Hassle-free installation and a guiding video on our Amazon Brand Store Front. You can make customizable design with...
- 【HASSLE-FREE MAINTENANCE】Dust-resistant wardrobes keep your clothes away from dirt and water-proof panels are easy to clean . Doors feature a...
You can buy the Portable Storage Shelf Cube in four sizes — 12, 16, 20, and 25 cubes. The shelves are 14” deep, which allows you to store multiple things ranging from books, camera and accessories, clothes, and shoes. It is constructed using environmental resin, a sustainable material that is easy to clean and waterproof.
The material is also dust-proof and extremely strong as each of the cube can bear up to 22 lbs of weight. You don’t need any tools to install the organizer and can customize it according to your closet’s size and height.
- Tool-free installation
- Constructed using eco-friendly, highly durable resin
- Easy to customize according to closet design
- Available in four variations
- Not meant for long-term use
- Doors open and close while traveling
Delta4 Pocket Over The Door Hanging Organizer
- Hanging storage with subtle print and contrast piping
- Perfect for storing toys and accessories;Material:Polyester
- Can hang over the door with hook or be attached to the wall with the provided hardware
- Assembled Dimensions: 13"L x 3.5"D x 36"H
This 4 Pocket Over The Door Hanging Organizer is ideal for adding storage to awkward places in the RV. You can use it to store socks, undergarments, skin care products, and napkins for easy access. If you have kids, you can store their diapers, cleaning tissues, and toys in the organizer.
You will have to add hooks to the closet door to hold it. Each of the four pockets are 3.5” deep and are made using high quality polyester material. The organizer is available in three distinct colors including beige, barely pink, and dove gray. It has a subtle polka dot pattern, which adds a refreshing texture to your RV’s decor.
- Made with high quality polyester
- No installation required
- Subtle colors blend with modern RV interiors
- Hanger is flimsy
- Not durable enough for long-term use
The Portable Storage Shelf Cube is a clear winner for us. It is eco-friendly, dust-proof, and waterproof, three characteristics important for any RV furniture or accessory. The organizer is affordable and its assembly doesn’t require any mechanical instruments. You can stack the cubes horizontally or vertically to fit into your RV closet and each cube has a weight capacity of up to 22 lbs!
With all that closet clutter tamed, packing for your next vacation will be a lot smoother and a lot more fun.