One of the best ways to escape the dirty air, the noise and the bustles of the city life, is to head out into nature’s serenity. This calls for camping or just a long road trip with a Recreational Vehicle (RV) or Travel Trailer. However, when RV camping you can make it as comfortable as your home. Besides, it is your little home-on-wheels for the period you will be out and about in the great outdoors. This often leads to upgrading and making changes to it commonly used areas. One of these areas is the sink, which plays a vital role in the water filtration system of an RV. Moreover, if you are using and an old RV, don’t you think it is time to upgrade the sinks?
Most RVs tend to have sinks that make it really hard to perform simple tasks such as your washing, hands or your brushing teeth. It can only get worse if you are out as a family, where everyone has to use the sink for these same reasons. Despite, the small space in some RVs, it is possible to upgrade from the small and shallow sinks to bigger and residential quality sinks.
But first, what are some of the crucial factors to consider when buying RV sinks for an upgrade?
Factors to consider before upgrading your RV sinks
Whether you are into short weekend camping or full-time camping during extended vacations, you cannot afford to overlook the importance of having quality sinks. Here is what you should pay attention to before upgrading the sinks of your RV;
1. The material of the sink (Weight)
It goes without saying that anything made of plastic material is of questionable quality. Unfortunately, plastic made sinks are not uncommon in RVs. On top of it all, plastic made sinks are hard to clean which can make your stay in a home-on-wheels quite unhygienic.
Therefore, when buying an RV sink, you should go for a more durable, easy to clean sink. Composite granite and stainless steel sinks check all the boxes. They are easy to clean and have a long lifespan if maintained well.
2. Size of the sink (Space Needed)
The size of the sink you may wish to buy is determined by the type of the RV you are using. For travel trailers and camper RV types, you may consider buying a smaller sink as compared to Class A, B and C RVs.
Nevertheless, this does not mean that you should compromise on the size of the sink, thus, ensure you go for one that provides adequate space to do all your hygiene tasks- brushing your teeth, washing hands etc.
3. The Design of the sink
There is a rich variety of RV sink designs to choose from. Well, some may inspire you while others may leave you scratching your head. Some interesting RV sink designs include; sinks with a plastic lid and fold up the faucet. The idea behind such a sink is to provide extra counter space, especially if it is used in the kitchen island area.
You can also increase your space with customized sink cover, as shown below. On the other hand, some sink designs are a bit off the top, for instance, those that come with add-in burners to the sink set up. How would you even cook with such a burner?
Anyway, remember to choose a sink design that best compliments your current theme, color pattern, and personal tastes in your home-away-from-home.
Camping can be expensive; from buying all the camping gear to other unavoidable costs such as gas money. Therefore you do want to spend way too much when buying a sink. However, you should also ensure that you do not buy a cheap sink whose durability is questionable. Ensure you strike a balance between the cost of a sink and its quality. Simply, in other words, get a sink that is a good value for your money.
5. Added features
For convenience when washing on a sink, you might consider paying attention to the added features that come with a particular sink. For instance, a feature like a flat-bottomed sink ensures your glass utensils rest solidly in the sink, thus minimizing the risk of breakage. Some other camping sinks have large handles that make it easy to carry around, a drain twist that makes it easy to drain the water after cleaning. These extra features make it easy for you to do your cleaning. Be sure to check out for such unique features when buying a sink. But then again do not go overboard, some features are too exaggerated.
Now that you are aware of what to look for when buying RV sinks, here is a short guide on how to maintain your newly upgraded sink to ensure its longevity.
Tips to maintain your RV kitchen sink
1. Keeping the sink clean
Keeping your sink looking clean and good as new is requires constant cleaning with the right supplies. A cleaning sponge, lemon juice and standard dishwashing liquid are all you need. First, pour the lemon juice on the sink and let sit for thirty minutes. This gives it time to loosen up tough stains including removing mineral build-ups from the water. Now, using a clean sponge and dishwashing liquid, clean the sink while paying attention to those hard to reach areas. Finally, thoroughly rinse the sink off the soapy water. Avoid using bleach or other abrasive cleaners as they may damage the sink.
2. Unclog the vents under the sink
The decaying food particles under the sink’s vent, besides leading to a bad odor it also causes the formation of coagulation on the sinks valves. In most cases, the area where the food particles are is hard to reach when cleaning the sink, which is why using enzyme treatment is a viable option. The enzyme treatment helps get rid of the decaying particles as well as bleach out the coagulation.
With that said, let’s look at top 3 best RV sinks in the market;
Top 3 RV Sinks Reviews
1. Lippert RV Double Sink – Classic
- Square sink can be used in RV kitchens/outdoor galleys and lavatories
- Classic style/color fits with most RV color schemes
- 3 holes for most typical faucet applications
- Perfect for upgrading used RVs
- Buy matching Better Bath rivets to complete installation
Lippert is a square double sink that can be used in RV kitchens as well as in the lavatories. With the double sink square size, this sink offers ample room for all your kitchen and lavatories. The sink measures 25 inches by 19 inches which makes it easy to replace a damaged RV sink thanks to its nice fitting size. This classically styled sink comes with 3 hole faucet mounts meaning you can easily fit faucets with different handles to adjust the temperature of the water.
The sink is made of thermoformed ABS sheeting which is a more environmentally friendly paint replacement alternative. Additionally, the ABS material that is used to the Lippert 209694 sink weighs 25% less than the typical fiberglass used in most sinks, meaning the Lippert sink weighs less compared to fiberglass molded sinks, in turn, it reduces the overall vehicle weight leading to improved gas mileage. The sink is sold individually as a package, meaning you have to buy rivets and other accessories required to fit this sink, preferably from Better Bath manufacturers who manufacture the Lippert sinks. You might also consider buying the sink alongside with a closing lid which also provides extra counter space.
• Excellent durability especially due to the ABS sheeting.
• Classic style and color that fits in most RVs.
• Suitable for upgrading indoors and outdoors use.
• Limited one-year manufacturer warranty.
• It has a lightweight.
• Has a compact size.
• Easy to install.
• Too thin making the sink easy to break.
• Some users complained of small out dimensions.
2. Domestic Cooktop 2 Burner/Sink Combo
The domestic Cooktop Burner sink is a relatively lightweight sink yet strong with a larger and deeper bowl capacity. The sink is made of stainless steel making it easy to clean and unaffected by household chemicals. You can be assured that this sink will not chip, crack or fade nor rust, therefore it maintains its rich satin luster making it an ideal sink for your RV kitchen or bathroom. Among the many advantages of stainless steel, sinks is that this type of sinks ‘give’ impact to help ceramic dishes and everyday glassware against accidental breakage, meaning you can worry less when washing brittle kitchenware in this sink. As for the design, like any other stainless steel sink, the domestic Cooktop 2 Burner sink Combo, accents your RV interior design with its cool texture reflecting the surrounding colors and patterns.
This sink can easily fit in a travel trailer or any other smaller RV thanks to its compact design. One of the most unique features of this sink is the 2 combo stove. This high-quality stove uses proprietary JetFlow technology which translates to less gas consumption as compared to other leading models, without compromising on the burner temperature. However, one can’t help to wonder how does having the burners so close to the sink work in reality? You are probably not going to try cooking a gourmet meal with this kind of a stove.
• Made of durable stainless steel.
• Resistant to corrosion mainly from hard water from the tap water.
• Easy to take care of and maintain.
• Provides a bigger bowl capacity.
• Compliments your RV interior design.
• Has a less gas consuming stove.
• Comes at a pocket-friendly price.
• Some users don’t like the idea of having a gas cooker so close to the sink.
• The hardware needed to connect the gas or drain is sold separately, which makes it quite expensive considering the initial cost of the sink.
• Lacks holes to install the faucet. This means you have to make the holes yourself which can be time-consuming as well as tiresome.
3. Dayton Equal Double Bowl Top
- ADA COMPLIANT: Product is ADA compliant when properly installed.
- DROP-IN INSTALLATION: Sink is designed for drop-in installation to make the sink a focal point of your room.
- DOUBLE BOWLS OF EQUAL SIZE: Conveniently use bowls independently for washing, soaking, rinsing, drying and other household tasks.
- 300 SERIES STAINLESS STEEL: Designed for everyday use.
- QUIET: Sound-deadening pad(s) minimizes sound and vibration for a quieter time at the sink.
Dayton equal bowl stainless sink is backed by the assurance of domestic manufacturing and great customer care. This ADA compliant when properly installed, meaning that it reaches the minimum 34 inches threshold from the floor and has a knee clearance of 27 inches. The 300 stainless steel is durable and easy to clean and maintain. Moreover, this stainless steel is designed for everyday use such as washing, soaking and drying among other household tasks thanks to its sound-deadening pads that minimizes sound and vibration for a quieter time at the sink. The best thing about this sink is the double bowl size that is spaced independently to provide sufficient space for performing all your cleaning tasks. The bowls have straight sidewalls giving the sink a flat bottom which offers more usable space for stacking, soaking and washing dishes.
The Dayton sink is available in 3 holes and 4 holes faucet installation. These faucet holes offer a U-installation meaning it is easy to install the sink since the mounting clips are placed inside the channel before installation. As far as the installation is concerned, the Dayton sink is designed for drop-in installation, making the sink a focal point of your RV kitchen.
• Offers flexible installation
• Easy to install thanks to the U-installation design.
• Large capacity bowl sizes offering ample space for all your household cleaning tasks.
• Made of durable stainless steel.
• An easy to clean and maintain sink.
• Although sold separately, the sink has convenient accessories designed to make your time at the sink more convenient.
• The finishes of the sink are not scratch resistant.
• The sink is a bit heavy.
• One has to incur an extra cost for buying the accessories since they are sold separately.
Camping Sinks for Outside The Trailer
Some travel trailers are made very lightweight and can be pulled around the country by almost any vehicle. These are more of a “bedroom on 2 wheels” type of campers and not your big second home on wheels. But you still have to eat and you still have to do the dishes when you prefer to stay in something lightweight camper right? Right.
With one of these sinks, you can maintain your personal hygiene, wash dishes while enjoying great outdoors. Here is a comprehensive review of the best 3 camping sinks.
1. Joseph2 Wash and Drain
- Wash basin comes with integrated plug and strainer. Twist the plug to strain food scraps or remove the plug to completely drain the wash basin.
- Sturdy handle and light weight allows it to be easily carried. Steep sides help keep water and soapsuds inside the basin.
- Helps you to use less water. Great for home use and camping.
- Dimensions: 12.4 in L x 12.2 in W x 7.5 in H; Capacity: 8.9 L or 2.35 gallons
- Hand wash only, not dishwasher-safe.
The Joseph Joseph 85056 is a simple sink designed to make cleaning easy with its small and compact design no matter where you are. This easy to carry wash and drain sink feature a convenient plug that also acts as a strainer with a simple twist you can completely drain this sink. It has two large handles and steep sides to help keep water from sloshing out when carrying the sink. This camping sink also features four sturdy stands that sit lowly close to the ground surface to offer stability when cleaning.
The sink measures 12.4 inches in length by 12.2 inches width by 7.5 inches height and can hold 8.9 liters of water, which helps you use enough amount of water for cleaning. However, with its size, the wash and drain sink can only support hand wash only thus it is not dishwasher-safe. As for additional accessories, the Joseph Joseph wash and drain camping sink comes with a removable dish rack and utensils holder which is a huge plus for campers trying to minimizing carrying loads of stuff.
• Comes with large handles that make it easy to carry.
• Has a relatively lightweight.
• 4 sturdy legs that provide maximum stability.
• Has a plug and strainer making it easy to drain off the sink.
• Comes with added accessories that makes cleaning convenient.
• Steep sides that help keep the water and soapsuds inside.
• Has a smart design.
• Can be used inside a typical sink.
• Some customers complained of unintentionally bumping open the drain, in turn, draining out all the water, even without having finished the cleaning process.
• Debris may collect around the drain area, meaning you have to regularly clean the sink after using otherwise the drain pathway may be completely blocked.
• To some customers, the sink size is too small for efficient cleaning.
2. Prepworks Collapsible Dish Tub
- VERSATILE AND MULTIPURPOSE: The Collapsible Dish Tub is a versatile tool for all your household tasks
- LARGE CAPACITY: The Large 9.25 Quart Capacity is great for washing dishes, cleaning floors and more
- PERFECT FOR ICE BEVERAGES: Take it camping to use as a dish tub or drink carrier or even hold all those delicious ingredients for s'mores
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Also features raised feet to allow water to flow underneath
- SPACE SAVING WITH EXPANDED SIZE: The rigid design allows the tub to stand on its own and collapses to ⅓ its original height for compact storage
If you are looking for a versatile and multipurpose washing sink, then prepworks collapsible tub might interest you. While camping you can use the tub as a drink carrier or for cleaning the dishes. Besides being used as a camping sink, this tub can also be used for all your household tasks such as cleaning floors. The sink offers Large 10 Quart capacity which is great for cleaning dishes as well as holding ingredients when preparing a dish during camping. For stability, the dish tub is made of a rigid design which also features raised feet for extra sturdiness. The raised feet also go a long way into allowing the water to flow underneath. The tub is available in other designs such as dish drainer, dish tub, and dish drainer set, all at a relatively affordable price.
• It has a rigid design that offers stability.
• Features a large sink capacity that offers sufficient room for all your cleaning tasks.
• The rigid design also allows the tub to collapse to 1/3 of its original height making it compact for storage.
• Can be used for a variety of tasks, from cleaning to carrying beverages.
• Available at a very economical price.
• Can be used on a typical kitchen sink.
• It is made of plastic which makes the dish tub less durable.
• Comes with a hard-to-remove label sticker.
3. Camco Deluxe Camping Kitchen
- Features large 32" x 17.5" stainless steel top for grilling, 15.25" x 17.25" aluminum composite side table, and 12" x 14" x 6 wash tub that hold...
- Fully assembled measurements are 64.75" W x 34"H (not including wind screen or telescoping lantern holder)
- Includes zippered storage with shelves and mesh vents for airflow and visibility
- Includes adjustable height feet for stability on uneven surfaces, wind screen, and telescoping lantern holder that adjusts from 30" - 41".
- Large camping kitchen folds flat to 33.5"L x 18.5"W x 5.8"H for easy storage in included storage bag
Enough of the camping sinks! Sometimes the sinks, no matter how big they are, they cannot sort all your kitchen needs. Besides, camping sinks do not provide you with tabletop where you can do all your kitchen work or even place a grill. But this is now possible with the Camco camping kitchen that features a large stainless steel top and a composite side table. This gives all the counter space you need when preparing a meal. As for your camp cleaning needs, this deluxe kitchen features 12 inches by 14 inches by 6 inches washing tub that has the capacity to hold 4.3 gallons of water.
The manufacturers did a great job in ensuring the stability of this kitchen set by adjustable height feet for stability on an uneven surface. What makes this kitchen set a must have for an adventurous camper, is the telescope holder located just above the stainless steel table top. The holder can also be used for holding a lantern which comes in handy at night. With all these features, you might be tempted to think the Camco kitchen is typical camping kitchen that is cumbersome to carry.
You are wrong! This camping kitchen can be folded flat to a compact and portable size that can be stored in the included storage bag.
• Offers a large stainless steel top providing enough working area for all your kitchen tasks.
• It is sturdy on both flat and uneven surfaces.
• Easy to carry.
• Has a telescope holder which can also be used as a lantern holder.
• Features mesh vents for proper aeration.
• Has zippered storage shelves for storing all your kitchen supplies.
• Compared to buying a sink, purchasing this kitchen set is pretty expensive. But considering all the extra features included, it is a good value for your money.
Kitchen Sink Accessories
Oh yeah, the accessories! These little cleaning helpers can make or break a good cleaning routine in a new sink – indoors or out. Don’t forget to accessorize 🙂
One cannot afford to overlook the importance of having a sink when going out camping. Whether you are camping in a tent or in an RV, you definitely need to keep the dishes clean while still enjoying the serenity offered by nature. It is for this reason you need to choose a sink that best suits you in terms of your budget and the size of your trailer or RV.
For those using an RV, the Dayton Equal double bowl is one of the best sinks you could go for. The fact that it is made of stainless steel and has up to 4 holes for faucet installation makes it stand out from the rest. With this sink, you are assured of durability and large capacity area for all your cleaning needs. The sink can fit well in both small-sized and large RVs.
The Camco Deluxe Kitchen is ideal for campers with small trailers or even tents. With all its added feature besides having a sink, all your kitchen needs during camping are sorted. This means that with this kitchen set, you don’t have to carry around too many separate kitchen utilities. All you need is your kitchen utensils and you are good to go.