What’s The Best TV For Your RV?
The RV life is all about spending your time outdoors and making the best memories. However, you will need some entertainment. Catch up with celebratory gossip, watch your favorite TV series (GOT anyone??), and play cartoons for the kids.
Three things matter the most when you purchase a television for your RV – size, features, and power. You can settle for a 32” TV or go for tiny 12-volt TV but choose something that fits your needs – or it will end up in the pile with the rest of them…
3 Things You Need to Know Before Buying an RV TV
Choosing a television for your RV might seem like the most difficult task because multiple factors play a role during the selection process. Here are three things you need to know before buying an RV TV:
1. You can’t use CRT TV
If you are thinking to install your old CRT TV in your RV, that probably is a bad idea. They won’t work when you are driving, especially if the ride is a bumpy one. They don’t have an anti-glare finish, which makes it difficult to watch during the day. The TV is a risk in itself because it might fall on someone and it won’t be pleasant.
2. Stick to a practical size
You can go for a 12-volt TV if you have a small RV. You can install two of them, and each person can enjoy their favorite show. If you plan to go for a larger television, don’t go for anything bigger than 21”.
3. RV TV antenna for local channels
You can purchase an RV TV antenna to watch local channels after you park for the night. It is an essential part of the setup because you need to check the news regularly for local updates and weather forecast.
Getting TV reception in your RV
The best thing about RV TVs is that they come with built-in TV receptors. You can still add an antenna for better reception, or you can purchase channel streaming services including Dish Network and Direct TV. An RV TV DVD combo is another great choice, but only you watch TV series and movies on disc and don’t want to invest in a satellite or any streaming service. Many RV parks offer free TV hookups, which you can use for free after parking for the night. Once you plug-in, you have access to more than 100 channels.
Choosing the Best RV TV
When you start looking at options, make sure the RV TVs offer all these features.
1. Screen resolution
The RV TV you choose should have a resolution of at least 1080p. Higher the resolution, the costlier the product will be. If you don’t want to pay a premium price for something you won’t be using frequently, you can settle for 720p, which is a much more affordable option.
2. Sound quality
Sound quality is an important feature because you’ll be on the road and there will be a lot of traffic around. You should be able to listen to what’s playing on the TV clearly. Purchase a TV with six-watt speakers as they cancel noise well and remove static as well.
3. AC/DC compatibility
Check the electricity lines of your RV. Most televisions nowadays are only AC-compatible, so if you have a DC connection, they won’t work. However, if you have an AC connection, there will be no issues.
4. Color quality
There are three elements that affect the picture quality — resolution, ISO, and brightness. All these characters together affect how well the objects appear on the TV screen. You also need to check for contrast, which you can change later but it is better to check the feature beforehand.
5. Product life
Every product has a fixed lifetime. The way you use it can decrease or increase product life. If you are planning to make the RV your permanent home, you might want to invest in a good brand that offers highly durable products. It is going to be expensive but worth in the long run.
The RV television you choose should have at least one USB port and support HDMI cables as well. If you document your life and want to transfer data from the PC to the TV, you might want a PC port. These three connections will be enough but if you want to go over-the-top, you can look for VGA, WVGA, and RCA connections. It will cost you more, so make a practical decision.
The TV should be wide enough to give you a comfortable viewing experience, but also should be easy to move around.
Don’t compromise on the price because it will affect the product’s quality. A good RV TV with all these features will cost you anywhere between $200 to $500. A good warranty policy will rise the cost a little.
SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV
- DETAIL: SuperSonic HDTV brings you a crisp high definition picture quality for stunning detail and contrast. The colors projected from the...
- ENTERTAINMENT: Enjoy your shows almost anywhere! Our TVs are designed to be perfect for any location, such as your kitchen or desk. It is also...
- HDMI / USB COMPATIBLE: Your TV contains HDMI, USB, and AC/DC ports. This feature allows you to freely use your Firestick or similar hardware to...
- AC/DC COMPATIBILITY: SuperSonic televisions are equipped with AC/DC Compatibility. This is a perfect feature for and RV owner! This is a great TV...
- PC INPUT: This feature allows you to use your TV as a computer monitor. The screen size and resolution make for a great PC experience.
SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV is an affordable product available in a variety of sizes from 13” to 40”. However, the best one for RV use is the 22” model. It is AC/DC compatible and has HDMI inputs, which offers a wonderful viewing experience. The TV is also USB-compatible and has a PC input, so you can use it view photos and videos on a bigger screen.
You can use the PC input to use the TV as a computer. Other features that it comes with include noise reduction and color balance. It has a brightness of 250cd/m². The TV has a resolution of 1080p. You will receive a 90 days parts warranty on the product.
- AC/DC compatibility
- Offers color balance function to adjust colors in high definition
- The PC input allows to use the TV as a computer
- The package doesn’t include a 12DC cable
- You cannot dim the light
Jensen 32″ LED TV – 12VDC
- Heavy Duty HD Ready 32" Inch LED TV, 12 Volt DC power, TV must be wired to vehicle's DC system
- Integrated HDTV (ATSC) tuner, HD ready (1080p, 720p, 480p)
- JCOM function if using a JENSEN HDMI-equipped DVD player, CEC function if using JWM9A or other JENSEN CEC-equipped HDMI DVD Players
- ARC (Audio Return Channel) via HDMI, VESA 100mm x 100mm mounting pattern, Dual-function remote control included
- Optional table top stand (STDJE3217 sold separately), Dimensions: 28.8"W x 17.4"H x 2.9"D, Packed at the Factory In Environment Friendly Box,...
Jensen is one of the few brands that make televisions for RVs and motorhomes. The JTV3217DC model is designed to suit the modern interiors of RV homes. It comes with an industrial grade metal cabinet. It has a 12V operation, front controls, and front firing speakers. The 32” television has an LCD panel aspect ratio of 16:9.
It has reinforced mounting points and is energy efficient. You will get a wireless remote to control the television and DVD player with this product. The TV has an HDMI input, one RCA input, and one USB input, all of which you can use for a superior entertainment experience.
- One-year manufacturer warranty
- HMDI, USB, and RCA input connection
- Tested and designed specifically for RV and motorhomes
- Package includes an industrial grade metal cabinet
- You have to purchase mounting frame separately
- Noise quality could have been better
Sceptre E246BD-SMQK TV DVD Combination
- HDTV With Build in DVD Player
- VESA Wall Mount Ready. Coaxial Digital Out Offering superior backwards compatibility for stereo receivers
- Energy Star. Brushed Metal Texture Design
- include USB Port
- Product dimensions: TV with stand: 21.89 x 14.44 x 5.5 inches; TV without stand: 21.89 x 13.12 x 2.96 inches
Available in 16” and 24” sizes, the Sceptre TV DVD Combination has a resolution of 720p. Along with the in-built DVD player, the RV television also has an HDMI input and USB port. Sceptre has over 30 years of experience and is known for its superior quality products at affordable prices.
The clear audio quality and high definition video quality makes the TV-DVD combo a perfect product for your RV. You will still need to buy an HD hook up the cord for better audio because you will be traffic, which can interfere with the sound quality. It doesn’t have any cable input, so it is strictly for watching movies and TV series using CD/DVDs. However, you can use a fire-stick with it to stream YouTube videos and Netflix programs.
- A high-quality product at an affordable price
- High definition video quality
- Compatible with fire-stick to stream Netflix and YouTube videos.
- Video quality gets a little pixelated during a bumpy ride
- Manufacturer response is delayed
Jensen JTV19DC HD RV LED TV
- 1366 x 768 WXGA+ Resolution 16.7 Million Colors
- HD Ready (1080p, 720p, 480p)
- Rugged Metal Cabinet, Front Controls
- VESA 100mm x 100mm Mounting Pattern
- Full function wireless remote control included. Connectivity technology: 1 HDMI, USB, VGA
Another Jensen model on the list, the Jensen LED TV works in three resolutions — 1080p, 720p, and 480p. It has a wide color range of over 16.7 million colors. The TV comes with a rugged metal cabinet, which offers extended protection. It has a front control panel to change channels conveniently. The package includes a fully functional wireless remote.
You can use the TV’s HDMI input to play video games on your PS4 and Xbox, USB port to view photos and videos on the screen, and VGA input to convert into a computer for editing videos and photos on a larger screen. When you purchase the product, you receive a 60 days free tech support and a one-year warranty from the manufacturer. The 12-volt TV also has a headphone output, the brightness of 200 nit, and a contrast ratio of 3,000:1.
- 60 days free tech support and one-year manufacturer warranty
- The USB port, HDMI input, VGA input, and headphone output
- The rugged metal cabinet included in the package
- Expensive comes to similar products from other brands
- Sound quality could have been better
AXESS TVD1804-24 HD TV/DVD Combo
- Max Resolution: 1366 x 768, Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1;Dimensions measured in inches: 22(W)×7.5(D)×15.5(H) - with Stand ; 22(W)×3.5(D)×15(H) - without Stand.
- Display colors: 16.7 million
- Input Terminal: Cable/antenna RF input x1, CVBS and audio L/R x1, component x1, HDMI, VGA, PC audio, USB (DVD), SD Card
- Includes a full function remote
With a wide display range of 16.7 million colors, this HD TV/DVD Combo is a great steal. It has an aspect ratio of 16:9 and supports maximum resolution 1366p x 768p. Input terminals include one CVBS and audio input, one PC audio input, one cable/antenna RF input, SD card terminal, and USB port. It comes with a fully functional remote control and works perfectly when connected to your RV’s battery.
It comes in two sizes — 24” and 32”, both of which have a contrast ratio of 1000:1. One of the most affordable TV/DVD combos on our list, TVD1804-24 is perfect for playing games and watching movies. It comes with a wall mount frame if you want to mount the TV on one the walls. The TV foot is easily detachable. You will get a one-year limited parts warranty from AXESS on this product.
- One-year limited parts manufacturer warranty
- Multiple input terminals for multi-use
- Front speakers that produce amazing sound quality
- Poor customer service
- Average picture quality
This 1080p LED HDTV is our favorite out of all the many options of RV TVs. It is AC/DC compatible, has excellent color balance, and offers a special noise reduction feature. It is available in multiple sizes from 13” to 40”. The TV is affordable and has a PC input, which you can use to turn the TV into a computer. The large screen is perfect for late night movies and viewing trip photos.